To add my 2¢:
I have 3 working setups almost done by this
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/DM-Crypt_with_LUKS guide which results in either
unencrypted /boot on drive or booting from stick resulting layout is following:
/dev/sda1 /boot
/dev/sda2 dm-crypt container with lvm vg atop of it
In vg is: vg-root vg-swap vg-home

All you need is build initram and pass it as a argument to pre configured
kernel (with needed encryption and hash algorithms built in)

Initram scripts are on github here https://github.com/tokiclover/mkinitramfs-ll

Hope it helps if not contact me (first time I needed to reinstall the system
three times before successful boot but that time I was complete noob in gentoo)