My new machine boots & has the basic software installed.
Fluxbox starts & I can stop it via its menu & the keyboard.

However, it doesn't recognise my Logitech optical mouse,
which doesn't show up in the 'dmesg' list nor as  /dev/input/mouse0 .

It's not a hardware problem : rebooting into System Rescue
without touching the connections results in a working mouse
& it is listed correctly there by 'dmesg' & as  /dev/input/mouse0 .

I've checked the Kernel settings & they seem all to be where they sb,
but the new machine is using 3.5.3 , whereas this one uses 3.4.0 .
I used the older  .config , went thro' 'make oldconfig'
& then thro' 'make menuconfig', so the same mouse lines should remain.
Has anything changed in Kernel 3.5 ?

 /etc/make.conf  has the line  INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" , like this machine.
Udev doesn't seem to differ significantly.

Google doesn't help, the Gentoo Wiki seems a bit out of date,
the User's Guide doesn't add anything.  Unfortunately,
when I started using a USB mouse back in 2007 ,
I didn't make a note of what I did to get it working, as I usually do.

Can anyone suggest what I'm missing ?

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca