No progress yesterday.  Today, I carefully checked the Kernel .config
& installed 3.4.9 , in case there was something new in 3.5.3 :
I have 3.4.0 in this machine, where the mouse works.
Then I started looking a Udev in this machine to see what mb missing there.
Back in the new machine, I was preparing to remerge -evdev- etc
& casually checked  /dev/input : mouse0 was there !
I logged in as user, 'startx' & the mouse worked in Fluxbox !
-- Xorg.log had found a Logitech mouse at /dev/input/event3 using evdev.
Well, perhaps it was some setting which took effect after the reboot.

Well, no, it wasn't.  When I had switched off & was replugging connections,
I found that I'd plugged the mouse into a different USB slot :
the previous one -- similar to the one in this machine -- was 2.0/1.1 ,
the new one which works is 3.0/2.0 .  NB Mageia + SystemRescue both
find the mouse in the former place, but my new Gentoo only in the latter.
The new mobo is a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ; this one is an ASUS P5G41T-M .

Further comments are very welcome.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca