> * Each Apache process is consuming 80-100MB of RAM.
> * Squid is consuming 666MB of RAM
> * memcached is consuming 822MB of RAM
> * mysqld is consuming 886MB of RAM
> * The kernel is using 110MB of RAM for buffers
> * The kernel is using 851MB of RAM for file cache (which benefits squid).
>
> And, not RAM, but potentially of interest for the curious:
> * The MySQL db is consuming 3.8GB on disk.
> * The Squid cache is about 9.2GB on disk.

As Jerry did not specify which content his apache is serving, I used
12MB of RAM per apache process (as a general rule of thumb). But if it's
dynamic content generated by a scripting language like php it could be a
lot more. But I think 80-100MB of RAM with php in the back should be a
good guess.

Important thing is:

MaxClients x memory footprint per apache process < available memory :-)

If you have lots of concurrent requests you may be better suited with
something lighter.... like lighttpd. Or start caching of some sort, like
Michael does.