On 16-Sep-12 20:06, Michael Hampicke wrote:
* Each Apache process is consuming 80-100MB of RAM.
* Squid is consuming 666MB of RAM
* memcached is consuming 822MB of RAM
* mysqld is consuming 886MB of RAM
* The kernel is using 110MB of RAM for buffers
* The kernel is using 851MB of RAM for file cache (which benefits squid).

As Jerry did not specify which content his apache is serving, I used
12MB of RAM per apache process (as a general rule of thumb). But if it's
dynamic content generated by a scripting language like php it could be a
lot more. But I think 80-100MB of RAM with php in the back should be a
good guess.

Important thing is:

MaxClients x memory footprint per apache process < available memory :-)

If you have lots of concurrent requests you may be better suited with
something lighter.... like lighttpd. Or start caching of some sort, like
Michael does.

Thank you for all tips&tweaks. My apache is serving mostly dynamic
content (drupal cms), and single apache process has ~35-40MB RES
It is on VPS, with 1GB/2GB soft/hard RAM limits, only apache & mysql
running. Mysqld needs ~100-200MB, and caching is covered by apc.
I reduced maxclients down to 40, it should never run out of memory.

BTW, how's that someone has apache process 10-20MB, and me 40MB?
I'd like to reduce its size, but do not know how...

Jarry