BACKGROUND
----------

OK, so I get a new Brother MFC-6710DW printer, which
includes ethernet. Since there is not (hplip) package
for Brother, I trying to use Layman to first add
an existing Overlay and then set up the printer
via Cups (localhost:631).

Amazingly, I found an overlay that looks to be for a brother
printer that is identical to mine, except it down not
have the memory stick slot (brother mfc6490cw).

Here it is on zugaina
(Successfully synchronized overlay "zugaina")

http://gpo.zugaina.org/Overlays/printer-drivers/
net-print/brother-mfc6490cw-cups

I thought once that layman is setup you could just update
the tree_list of packages (which I did) and then just
use emerge to install from a give Overlay repository?
(Yes, I modifies the /etc/make.conf

#LAYMAN
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
source /var/lib/layman/make.conf
(but this layman make.conf file is still empty)

So, I get this error:
# layman -f -a net-print/brother-mfc6490cw-cups-1.1.2_p2

Overlay "net-print/brother-mfc6490cw-cups-1.1.2_p2" does not exist.
(I also tried the name "net-print/brother-mfc6490cw-cups" to no avail)

Next, I've manually downloaded the ebuild to:
/usr/local/portage/net-print/brother-mfc6490cw-cups/

PROBLEM
-------
But I cannot use emerge to install it.
# emerge brother-mfc6490cw-cups
Calculating dependencies / * Manifest not found for
'/usr/local/portage/net-print/brother-mfc6490cw-cups/
brother-mfc6490cw-cups-1.1.2_p2.ebuild'

So now I need to hack the manifest and other files into this dir?
Any discussion, ideas, syntax or ebuild support files
(manifest et. al) are most welcome (Neil?)

Note: it's been a while since I've used the laymen scripts et. al.
so it's entirely possible I missed (fudged_up) the steps I gleaned
from the myriad of wikis  to do this install.

rusty on Overlays,
James