On 05.10.2012 17:38, Jamse wrote:
> BACKGROUND ----------
>
> OK, so I get a new Brother MFC-6710DW printer, which includes
> ethernet. Since there is not (hplip) package for Brother, I trying
> to use Layman to first add an existing Overlay and then set up the
> printer via Cups (localhost:631).
>
> Amazingly, I found an overlay that looks to be for a brother
> printer that is identical to mine, except it down not have the
> memory stick slot (brother mfc6490cw).
>
> Here it is on zugaina (Successfully synchronized overlay
> "zugaina")
>
> http://gpo.zugaina.org/Overlays/printer-drivers/
> net-print/brother-mfc6490cw-cups
>
> I thought once that layman is setup you could just update the
> tree_list of packages (which I did) and then just use emerge to
> install from a give Overlay repository? (Yes, I modifies the
> /etc/make.conf
>
> #LAYMAN PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage" source
> /var/lib/layman/make.conf (but this layman make.conf file is still
> empty)
>
> So, I get this error: # layman -f -a
> net-print/brother-mfc6490cw-cups-1.1.2_p2
>
> Overlay "net-print/brother-mfc6490cw-cups-1.1.2_p2" does not
> exist. (I also tried the name "net-print/brother-mfc6490cw-cups" to
> no avail)
>
> Next, I've manually downloaded the ebuild to:
> /usr/local/portage/net-print/brother-mfc6490cw-cups/
>

> PROBLEM ------- But I cannot use emerge to install it. # emerge
> brother-mfc6490cw-cups Calculating dependencies / * Manifest not
> found for '/usr/local/portage/net-print/brother-mfc6490cw-cups/
> brother-mfc6490cw-cups-1.1.2_p2.ebuild'
>
> So now I need to hack the manifest and other files into this dir?
> Any discussion, ideas, syntax or ebuild support files (manifest et.
> al) are most welcome (Neil?)
>
> Note: it's been a while since I've used the laymen scripts et. al.
> so it's entirely possible I missed (fudged_up) the steps I gleaned
> from the myriad of wikis  to do this install.
>
> rusty on Overlays, James

Hi James,

you'll have to add the complete overlay, e.g.:

layman -a printer-drivers

Afterwards you should be able to install the driver. The alternative
route would be to set up your own overlay. If you put a file inside
the normal portage tree, it will be removed after the next sync.
To create a Manifest you could issue "ebuild <path/to/foobar.ebuild>
manifest" but as stated above it would be removed on the next sync, if
you don't setup your own overlay. The easiest way would be to simply
add the overlay with "layman -a <overlayname>". If I recall correctly
you'll have to update the list of available overlays before doing so
via "layman -L"

WKR
Hinnerk