On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 17:20:05 +0200, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:

> I want to emerge application "F", which
> depends on library "A","B","C","D" and "E",
> which unfortunately are not used by any other
> program and are really heavy to compile in terms
> of compile time.
>
> Unfortunately the last step -- the compilation
> of "A" -- fails, which I recognize unfortunately
> but naturally at the moment all other dependencies
> are installed.
>
> Is there a legal and clean way to "lock" those
> already installed dependencies and save them
> from being wiped out by the tidy and clean up
> commands normally used after a general update
> of gentoo?

I can think of three options:

1) Create a set (if using portage 2.2). Add each of the packages
to /etc/portage/sets/depsforF then emerge -n @depsforF.

2) quickpkg B C D E - then it doesn't matter if they are unmerged them
as you can quickly re-emerge them with the -k option.

3) Don't run emerge --depclean until you have resolved this issue.

--
Neil Bothwick

How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a
good idea to put wheels on luggage?