On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 17:20:05 +0200
meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Suppose the following setup:
>
> I want to emerge application "F", which
> depends on library "A","B","C","D" and "E",
> which unfortunately are not used by any other
> program and are really heavy to compile in terms
> of compile time.
>
> Unfortunately the last step -- the compilation
> of "A" -- fails, which I recognize unfortunately
> but naturally at the moment all other dependencies
> are installed.
>
> Is there a legal and clean way to "lock" those
> already installed dependencies and save them
> from being wiped out by the tidy and clean up
> commands normally used after a general update
> of gentoo?

Put them in your world file.

or with portage-2.2 you could maintain your own set of stuff you want to
keep and emerge that set. This is effectively the same thing as putting
things in world but you might find it to be cleaner and easier to
maintain (a cluttered world is very untidy and prone to being cleaned)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com