On 2012-11-06, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The keyboard that came with my 8Mhz IBM PC-AT back in 1986 still gets
>> used every day and still works as good as the day I unpacked it.
>> It's an absolutely brilliant job of engineering and manufacturing.
>
> That's because it's a Model M - the best keyboard ever made IMNSHO
>
> You know you can still buy those?

Yea, Unicomp bought the rights and sells them for $80:

   http://www.pckeyboard.com/

I was thrilled when I saw they offered a "spacesaver M" model.  I
thought it was going to be a clone of the IBM 84-key model M "space
saver" that IBM sold back in 87-89.

Nope.  It's the same desk-hogging size as a regular M -- not really
sure where the "space saving" comes from.

So now I'm really torn between the key-action of the M and the smaller
size and built-in pointer of the IBM spacesaver II.

Once upon a time, there was a Minnesota company called Omnikey that
made excellent keyboards -- almost as good as the model M (and they
had a dipswitch and extra keycaps that let you have a proper Control
key).  I think got bought by Northgate, and then went out of business
back when all the other smaller clone manufactures...

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Will it improve my
                                  at               CASH FLOW?