On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 06:24:32PM -0600, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Say Dude,
> >
> > I have a question (well, two actually)
> >
> > My name is Alan and I've been subscribed on this list for 7 years.
> >
> > What's your name, and how long have you been around?
> >
> > Just trying to establish your place in the pecking order in this here
> > meritocracy.
>
> Seniority != meritocracy. And I don't know how much "meritocratic"
> this list could be, since it is a users lists. The most "merit" a
> member of this list can get is to give technically acurate,
> constructive, and polite help for those users asking for it.
>
> IMO, the most active users of this lists usually fail in at least two
> of those three, sometimes all of them. Unfortunately, I don't think I
> have done better. I suscribed to this lists more than eight years ago;
> I stopped asking for help here just a few months later. Which is
> easily explained by people like you that believe that "being around"
> longer somehow gives more "merit" and that there is a "pecking order".
>
> I was under the impression that, being all of us Gentoo users, we were
> equals, although some of us know less about some things and some
> others know more about some other things. Hence the smart, mature, and
> polite exchange of ideas. I didn't know this was a pissing contest.
>
> This is a technical help list, related to the Gentoo Linux
> distribution. Please, don't try to "pull rank" in here; you just look
> bad, and at least I would laugh at the futility of it. Even more
> considering I've been around longer:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@gentoo.org/msg35368.html
>
> Mmmh. Maybe I've been around even longer than 8 years. But, who the
> <censored> cares?
>
> It's completely relevant.
>
> Regards.
> --
> Canek Peláez Valdés
> Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Other than your use of profanity, that post was worth making a sticky.

The first such abuse of others was A.O.L.S. -- yes, you just look bad, real
bad.

There is one LUG to which I'm subscribed, which is still good for support and
edification of others. Since I (re)joined this list on Oct 21, it appears that
only 3 messages have been of enough technical merit for saving.
--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
126 Fenco Drive                       ( \

Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting