On 2012-11-20 9:36 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoar...@gentoo.org> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Tanstaafl<tansta...@libertytrek.org>  wrote:
Anyone?

I don't see any news blurbs warning about it, but with everything going on
with udev, systemd, etc, I'm not risking updating unless/until I know it is
safe.

The ebuild will usually take care of dependency versions. So unless
the ebuild restricts it, I see no reason to stay with the old udev.
OpenRC maintainers are very careful in this area as they are well
aware of the problems a new udev can cause.

I am staying with the old udev because I have /usr on a separate partition, and have no desire to bugger my system because of the machinations of the systemd/udev maintainers.

I would have already migrated to mdev if I were a more capable linux admin, but I'm only barely passable.

But as it is, I'm simply avoiding the whole mess unless/until I have to do a reinstall from scratch - which may be soon, since I need more disk space anyway (just wish I had a decent guide on installing gentoo in a vmware esxi server VM)...