On 27/12/12 11:19, Dale wrote:
> Walter Dnes wrote:
>>   This may be related to me running mdev instead of udev.  I've been
>> using /dev/shm for creating and deleting scratch files, to speed things
>> up when processing photographs with automated scripts.  It used to work.
>> But now it no longer allows writes by anybody except root.  A couple of
>> days ago, I did a big update, which resulted in devpts having to be
>> explicitly mounted.  Since I run mdev instead of udev, the instruction
>> to "rc-update add udev-mount sysinit" doesn't work for me.  Instead I
>> put an explicit "mount devpts" in /etc/local.d/000.start, which handles
>> the automounting.  Anybody else seeing /dev/shm as root-only, or is this
>> an artifact of my weird setup?
>>

> I'm not real sure on what you are doing but, this is what mine is:
>
> root@fireball / # ls -al /dev/shm
> total 4
> drwxrwxrwt  2 root root    60 Dec  3 18:20 .
> drwxr-xr-x 18 root root  4400 Dec 26 18:56 ..
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 dale users   32 Dec  3 18:20 sem.lastpassffsemaphore
> root@fireball / #
>
> It seems that whatever file is there is owned by the person who created
> it.  I use LastPass for my password manager so, I assume, that is what
> that is.  Odd tho that I am not currently logged into LastPast but can't
> imagine what else could be named that.
>
> That help any?  Can I get you any other info?
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

moriah ~ # ls -al /dev/shm
total 128
drwxrwxrwt  2 root root       80 Dec 27 13:39 .
drwxr-xr-x 17 root root     4900 Dec 27 12:51 ..
-r--------  1 wdk  wdk  67108904 Dec 27 13:39 pulse-shm-259503987
-r--------  1 wdk  wdk  67108904 Dec 27 13:39 pulse-shm-3719994179
moriah

Do you have the fstab line:
"none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults  0 0"

I also grepped /usr/lib/udev/* and no shm shows in the udev rules there.

The contents of the dir are as Dale sees - I have a couple of
BillK