130102 Nuno J. Silva wrote:
> On 2013-01-01, Bryan Gardiner wrote:
>>  Today I wanted to install nethack and found it is masked:
> If you're the only user of your computer, you could also just unmask
> the version in Portage.  The bug is that any user in the games group
> can edit all save files, so if you want to hack your own saves, go ahead.
> The main problem is not the cheating, but that nethack does not employ
> any kind of checks on the scores file when reading it, this effectively
> enables an attack vector where anyone with access to the scores file can
> exploit vulnerabilities in nethack simply by writing a specially-crafted
> score file.
> Nethack just relies on being setgid to a group and installing the scores
> file as writeable by that group. Unfortunately, that happens to be the
> very same "games" group Gentoo uses to group users who are allowed to
> play games, therefore rendering nethack's protection useless.

Does the insecurity extend beyond Nethack itself ?
-- if not, hard-masking it seems a bit draconian:
it sb quite safe on a single-user system.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca