On 2013-01-02, Philip Webb wrote:

> 130102 Nuno J. Silva wrote:
>> On 2013-01-01, Bryan Gardiner wrote:
>>>  Today I wanted to install nethack and found it is masked:
>> If you're the only user of your computer, you could also just unmask
>> the version in Portage.  The bug is that any user in the games group
>> can edit all save files, so if you want to hack your own saves, go ahead.
>> The main problem is not the cheating, but that nethack does not employ
>> any kind of checks on the scores file when reading it, this effectively
>> enables an attack vector where anyone with access to the scores file can
>> exploit vulnerabilities in nethack simply by writing a specially-crafted
>> score file.
>> Nethack just relies on being setgid to a group and installing the scores
>> file as writeable by that group. Unfortunately, that happens to be the
>> very same "games" group Gentoo uses to group users who are allowed to
>> play games, therefore rendering nethack's protection useless.
>
> Does the insecurity extend beyond Nethack itself ?
> -- if not, hard-masking it seems a bit draconian:
> it sb quite safe on a single-user system.

It's an attack vector. If it is exploited, it extends to your whole
account, plus any system/service whose passwords/credentials are stored
in your files.

Now if it's a single-user system, the attacker would need to already
have access to a user in the games group in your system, and the only
account in that group is likely yours, so I doubt there would be a big
issue.

--
Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/