So, I botched the upgrade to udev-191. I thought I'd followed the
steps, but I apparently only covered them for one machine, not both.

The news item instructions specified that I had to remove
udev-postmount from my runlevels. I didn't have udev-postmount in my
runlevels, so I didn't remove it. Turns out, that dictum also applies
to udev-mount. So after removing that[1], I was able to at least boot
again.

Udev also complained about DEVTMPFS not being enabled in the
kernel.[2]  I couldn't get into X, but I could log in via getty and a
plain old vt, so I enabled it, rebuilt the kernel, installed it and
rebooted...and now that's presumably covered.

I'm now able to get into X, but when I try to run an xterm, it fails.
Checking ~/.xsession_errors, I find:

xterm: Error 32, error 2: No such file or directory
Reason: get_pty: not enough ptys

I find this bizarre, as I'd never had any trouble with xterm in this
way before. What'd I do wrong, and how do I recover? I don't trust
emerging at this point; I tried re-emerging udev, and I aborted after
I saw an stderr line about failing to open a pty, even though portage
does quiet builds for parallel building by default...so I doubt
whatever emitted that line on stderr was being properly guarded
against the failure.

[1] I didn't have a boot cd or similar to work with, so I used the old
init=/bin/sh trick on the command line. That was functional. And then
I tried init=/usr/bin/vim, and things got real. :)

[2] Sparking a bemused discussion with a friend at tonight's LUG
meeting over the devfs->udev->udev+devtmpfs progression, but that's a
different story.

--
:wq