On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 31 Jan 2013 14:37:00 Michael Mol wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Peter Humphrey
>>
>> <pe...@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Why did you remove udev-mount from the sysinit level? I left mine alone
>> > and it all works just fine.
>>
>> Because, when I initially rebooted, openrc failed to launch the
>> udev-mount service, and I couldn't get any farther in the boot
>> sequence until I removed it. (Which involved removing the symlink in
>> /etc/runlevels, since rc-update kept failing while complaining about
>> being unable to update dependencies.)
>>
>> It seems possible now that the reason the udev-mount service failed to
>> start was because of the missing CONFIG_DEVTMPFS kernel config option.
>> I can try adding udev-mount back to see if it works.
>
> Well, I have udev-mount running:
>
> rc-update -s -v | grep udev
>                  udev |                                        sysinit
>            udev-mount |                                        sysinit
>
> and do not have CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT enabled.  devpts is created fine and I
> have no problems booting:
>
> mount | grep devpts
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
>

> You may want to try the same in case it works?

I probably will re-add udev-mount. It's certainly plausible it only
failed because of the lack of CONFIG_DEVTMPFS, and having
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT enabled fixed basic pty and shm functionality
for me.

It's also worth noting that whether or not you use an initramfs (I
don't on this machine) can make a difference.

--
:wq