On 03/02/2013 16:28, Michael Hampicke wrote:
> Am 03.02.2013 15:08, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
>> So what we have here is a piece of FOSS software that is too fucking
>> clever for it's own good. It's applying insane validation checks to
>> things that are not in any spec at all:
>>
>> - I want two IMAP accounts. One runs locally on port 143. The other one
>> is also local, and just happens to use the same username. It also runs
>> on a different port which uses ssl magic to tunnel through into the
>> corporate network. A mail client has no business deciding it will not
>> add the second account because it already has something for that
>> username and host. So fucking what? I'll run 19 imap servers on
>> localhost if I feel like it, it's no business of Mozilla if I do
>>
>> - I don't *actually* need to give a valid password for a mail client to
>> configure the account. So what if I don't have the password right now?
>> Maybe I'll get it later. Just add the damn thing to your config and stop
>> refusing to continue if you can't validate the password! That becomes my
>> problem not Mozillas!
>>
>> - When I change data in a textbox on a dialog and the "Advanced config"
>> button ungreys, I sorta kinda expect it to do something. Like maybe let
>> me add stuff that is out of the ordinary. i sorta kinda don't expect it
>> to do nothing nothing whatsoever at all and sit there having no effect.
>>
>> - Wizards are fine for helping out Aunt Tilly. But for the love of Pete,
>> give advanced users a way to bypass the thing and enter information that
>> has not occurred to Mozilla devs yet. It;'s not hard to come out with
>> scenarios that any wizard does not cater for.
>>
>> Rant over. Now where is Thunderbirds bugzilla?
>>
> Here you go https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/
> And while your at it, tell them to drop that social media shite like FB
> from their products :)

I got it fixed eventually. Here's the hoops I had to jump through:

Put thunderbird in offline mode. The wizard is at least smart enough to
recognise it can't verify stuff online if it's offline so it goes
straight to advanced mode.

Enter sane defaults for mail accounts that exist. To get two accounts on
localhost (on different ports), do this:

For the first one, host is 127.0.0.1, wizard validates it as saves it as
"localhost".
For the second one, host is again entered as 172.0.0.1, which is a
different string to "localhost", validation succeeds and config is
written to prefs.js. Ha-ha! Gotcha motherfucker! Your stupid front end
validation didn't think of that!

Quit thunderbird.
vi /path/to/prefs.js
Clean up manually any residual crap left behind by the wizard

Start thunderbird, go to online mode. Observe how mail fetch works.
Observe how HTML is TheWaveOfTheFuture and spend next two hours getting
in the way of TheWave.

Sometime this week I might even get around to filing a bug, once I've
calmed down somewhat and once my initial choice of words is slightly
less profane than it is now.

:-)

p.s thanks for chipping in with suggestions and help. Appreciate it.

--
alan.mckin...@gmail.com