On 2013-02-07 3:28 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Enter a password, the wizard tries to validate it
Don't enter a password, the wizard prompts you for one
Get past that (using $MAGIC of course) it still tries to validate that
the server is up and something is running there.

The only way round that is to take the app offline whereupon it sensibly
doesn't try validate things that are online. This naturally will be
tagged as a bug as obviously the wizard should never even start whilst
offline </vicious biting sarcasm>

Just fyi, I had no problem doing this:

1. Add Mail Account

2. Add Name and EMail address

3. Leave password blank, uncheck 'Remember password'

4. Hit Continue, then immediatley hit 'Manual Config'

5. Finish configging, being sure manually set anything set to 'Auto' (as this is telling Thunderbird to do it for you) - ie, the SSL/Port/Authenticiation settings. Leaving any of these set to Auto will keep the 'Done' button greyed out.

6. Click Done.

You can set up many accounts on localhost, but that's not what I said.
It's complaining about the combination of username and hostname that is
repeated.

If you mean, identical usernames and incoming hostnames, then yes, Thunderbird doesn't like that, and I'm honestly trying to think of a reason why you would want two identical accounts set up in the same client? What am I missing?

Which is silly, as username+hostname is not guaranteed to be a
singleton in any universe.

? I can't think of any way that username+incoming-hostname can result in anything other than a single, individual users account, so I guess I'm totally missing what you are saying.