On 2013-02-07 4:25 PM, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org> wrote:
I think that a lot of people will misread that like I (we) did...

I believe he is correct and /dev/shm is irrelevant for this discussion.

Ok, thanks, but... and no offense...

I am not willing to gamble on breaking a remotely accessed server based on someone's 'I believe that this is correct' comment.

When the news item says:

need to verify the fstype for possible /dev line in /etc/fstab is
> devtmpfs (and not, for example, tmpfs)

'Possible /dev line' in no way is clear that it means a line that has ONLY /dev on it. /dev/shm - which is also of type tmpfs - can easily be read to be included.

The important thing to note is that entries for precisely /dev and
/proc

Mine has this in it:

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none                    /proc           proc            defaults        0 0

So, you're saying that this line, that is prefaced with a comment that says it is CRITICAL FOR BOOT, is not even needed?

This is a server that was initially installed back in 2005, so maybe this is cruft that is no longer needed?

Obviously I don't understand most of this stuff, so am at the mercy of those more knowledgeable.

Thanks,

Charles