Neil Bothwick wrote:
> Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
>
>         Am 08.02.2013 23:54, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
>
>             On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 16:45:13 -0600, Dale wrote:
>
>                 Well, switched to a newer gcc, same thing. Going back
>                 to KDE 4.9 for a bit. They will have it fixed in a
>                 couple days. After all, Linux has some of the smartest
>                 programmers there is. I'm not sure of some users tho,
>                 myself included. ;-)
>
>             Changing CFLAGS and rebuilding one package is a lot less
>             work that a complete downgrade.
>
>         Only if you don't have a backup (which I did before upgrading,
>         but I can't be bothered with redoing the upgrade in only a few
>         days, so I'll sit it out with Awesome in the meantime).
>         Thankfully, my netbook, which needs very many an hour to build
>         KDE, runs x86 and isn't affected.
>

>     Yep.  I rm'd the kde.keyword file and did a emerge -kuv world and down
>     went KDE.  Took about 5 or 10 minutes.  I cooked and ate supper while
>     the drive light blinked.
>
>     Back to normal now.
>
>     Thanks again.
>
>     Dale
>
>     :-)  :-)
>

> Of course I have backups, although a quick run of demerge got it back
> for me. But rolling back KDE, with the attendant hassles of messed up
> configs, only sidesteps the bug , which relates to qr-core not KDE.
>
> At least it prompted me to, belatedley, set up snapshots on my new ZFS
> setup, so some good came of it.
> --

I didn't have any config problems at all.  I did have to update but its
the same thing I have to do when I do a upgrade.  It may only be a qt
problem but it sure did bork KDE up badly.  KDE was practically dead in
the water.  It reminded me of a ship that got hit by a large torpedo.
It was not sinking, it was sunk.  Almost nothing KDE worked.  No kicker,
no wallpaper for the desktop, no KDE menu, no right clicking on the
desktop.  Also, no way to log out either.  The only way to logout was to
restart xdm.  Yea, no matter what caused it, for ME at least,
downgrading was the easiest and fastest.

YMMV tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!