On 02/13/2013 02:51 PM, walt wrote:

> For sure there is no user named auth on my machines, so something must be
> wrong somewhere.  Just for fun I ran "emerge -p /etc/pam.d/ and got this:
>
> #emerge -p /etc/pam.d/

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild   R    ] sys-auth/pambase-20120417-r1
> [ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/shadow-4.1.5.1-r1
> [ebuild   R    ] net-mail/mailbase-1.1
> [ebuild   R    ] app-admin/sudo-1.8.6_p6
> [ebuild   R    ] sys-auth/polkit-0.110
> [ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/openrc-0.11.8
> [ebuild   R    ] net-print/cups-1.6.1
> [ebuild   R    ] net-misc/openssh-6.1_p1-r1
> [ebuild   R    ] net-fs/samba-3.6.12
>
> I mention this mostly because I learned very recently that emerge will
> accept a directory name and rebuild all of the packages that install
> files there.  Maybe it won't help you but I'm looking for any excuse
> to use that new trick :)  (Some wise gentooer posted that revelation
> here in the last month or so and I can't recall who it was, sorry.)

Well, I did some poking around and googling, and it does appear like a
configuration issue. I'm in the middle of syncing right now, hopefully
an update will fix it.

Others reported issues of not being able to log in at all.

One other thing I noticed is my crons stopped running around the same
time, I'll bet it's related.

Dan