On 02/13/2013 08:56 PM, Stroller wrote:

> On 14 February 2013, at 04:13, Daniel Frey wrote:
>> I've poked into this a bit more, and every 60 seconds 5 attempts at
>> logon are being madeā€¦ This weekend I'll reformat & reinstall.
>
> Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but does this machine have any ports
> open to the internet?
>
> This thread reminds me of how we sometimes hear of logfiles full of many ssh
> attempts made by script kiddies and botnets.
>
> Stroller.

This particular machine doesn't have ssh/xinetd or the like routed from
outside the local LAN.

I scoured through the logs and the problem started Jan 29th (this is the
day my SSD died.)

I have set up xinetd to spawn remote desktop sessions to X (again, not
from outside the LAN) and I noticed that these errors started right
after the first kernel boot from the replacement drive (rust-based, but
should make no difference.) The errors started immediately after xinetd
started.

I am thinking that the data I recovered from that SSD was not so reliable.

I think I'm going to oneshot libtool and gcc and do an emerge -e world.
I'll then check my xinetd configs. If that doesn't work I'll have to
reformat & reinstall (which will be a pain in the ass, this machine is
also my mythtv backend!)

I went through netstat and checked & doublechecked my router and there's
no forwarding of ports related to ssh or the like. I do have on port
forwarded for rtorrent but that's it.

At this point I'm 99.99% positive it's related to my SSD "crash".

Dan