Stefan G. Weichinger writes:

>  # cat /proc/version
> Linux version 3.6.11-gentoo
> # zgrep -i devtm /proc/config.gz
> CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
> CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y
>
> # mount | grep tmpfs
> udev on /dev type devtmpfs
> (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=493463,mode=755)
> tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
> shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
> cgroup_root on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755)
>
> I should edit /etc/fstab, I assume:
>
> # grep tmpfs /etc/fstab
> # glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
> # (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
> shm   /dev/shm        tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec       0 0

I still have this line in my fstab on one host...

> Same "mistake" as I mentioned a few days before ... the syntax seems to
> have changed to:
>
> tmpfs     /dev/shm        tmpfs       nodev,nosuid,noexec     0 0
>
> Right?

... but I don't have it at all on another. /dev/shm is mounted just fine
though.
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT seems to be responsible for that, although the help
text says that it does not work when using an initramfs, which I do:

CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT:

This will instruct the kernel to automatically mount the devtmpfs
filesystem at /dev, directly after the kernel has mounted the root
filesystem. The behavior can be overridden with the commandline parameter:
devtmpfs.mount=0|1.
This option does not affect initramfs based booting, here the devtmpfs
filesystem always needs to be mounted manually after the roots is mounted.
With this option enabled, it allows to bring up a system in rescue mode
with init=/bin/sh, even when the /dev directory on the rootfs is
completely empty.

        Alex