On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 21:14:39 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:

> * on a machine with multiple network cards *ALL USING DIFFERENT DRIVERS*
> * drivers are built as modules, not built-in into the kernel
> * is it possible to set things up so that the network driver modules do
>   not load automatically at bootup?
> * have a script in /etc/local.d/ (or wherever) modprobe the drivers in
>   the desired order
>
>   I can see complications involving services that depend on net (e.g.
> sshd), but in general, would it work reliably?

What happens if one of the modules fails to load for any reason?

If you need persistent device names, set up rules to give them, but use
names outside of the kernel namespace to avoid the problems that udev is
trying to avoid with its new naming rules.

--
Neil Bothwick

Where do you think you're going today?