On Saturday 06 Apr 2013 09:43:28 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 21:14:39 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> > * on a machine with multiple network cards *ALL USING DIFFERENT DRIVERS*
> > * drivers are built as modules, not built-in into the kernel
> > * is it possible to set things up so that the network driver modules do
> >
> >   not load automatically at bootup?
> >
> > * have a script in /etc/local.d/ (or wherever) modprobe the drivers in
> >
> >   the desired order
> >
> >   I can see complications involving services that depend on net (e.g.
> >
> > sshd), but in general, would it work reliably?
>
> What happens if one of the modules fails to load for any reason?
>
> If you need persistent device names, set up rules to give them, but use
> names outside of the kernel namespace to avoid the problems that udev is
> trying to avoid with its new naming rules.

Answering Walter's question - from my experience on at least two boxen that
I've rebooted since udev 200:

My ethernet cards which had their driver built in the kernel were renamed by
udev to the enp_something predictable name.

The wireless cards that I had them built as modules remained the same as
before; e.g. wlan0.  I only have one wireless card in each machine so I don't
know if the naming will get mixed up, if I had more than one and the kernel
decided to modprobe them in a different order.  I expect that it would rename
them as it would do before udev-200, in which case a 70-net-names.rules would
bring things back to even keel.
--
Regards,
Mick