On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 09:31:43PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 13:16:45 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
>
> > "If /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules is an empty file or a
> > symlink to /dev/null,"
> >
> > The first can obviously be taken quite literally, while the second just
> > might actually require a tiny bit of thought - ie, 'hmmm, wonder if
> > they mean literally 'empty', or just nothing in it that does anything?
>
> Even if that were reasonable, how are you supposed to know which they
> mean? You guessed right and now have the benefit of hindsight, that does
> not justify ambiguous or inaccurate instructions.

Ack!

Empty means a zero byte file ... always has, and if the idiots who have
started systemd and taken over udev have somehow managed to change that, then
we are not going to be able to trust ANYTHING they ever write again, without a
new dictionary to define their terms. (Sounds like the present POTUS,
Congress, and Supreme Court in the U.S.)

Personally I don't now, nor have ever, trusted Kay and Lennart. I depend upon
WilliamH to keep the ship afloat as we sail through the udev murk...
--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
126 Fenco Drive                       ( \