[snip]
> And I think there's your opening: netbooks.
>
> They are cheap and once you get past that they are much slower than what
> you are used to, they do work very well. And they work offline too. With
> one more advantage from your point of view: Windows runs very suckily
> one them, but a decent Linux runs rather unsuckily :-)

This brings up another important question: Windows or Linux.  These
folks have ultra-basic computer skills if that.  They won't be able to
hit the forums when something goes wrong.  I've only ever really used
Gentoo so I'm not sure how easy Ubuntu or whatever is but I'm leaning
toward Windows for this.  It's a much more "universal language" in the
computer world so the chances of them finding help for a problem are
much higher.  Plus they can install Windows programs that way.  Of
course Windows comes with its own set of problems but I think those
might be preferable in this case.  If I can get systems with some kind
of a restore partition, they could follow a pretty simple procedure to
restore the OS back to factory when it gets too far out.  In fact the
owner of the place where I was staying brought me his Toshiba laptop
while I was there and (typically) the thing was riddled with viruses
and had become unusable.  Luckily there was a restore partition and it
was too easy to snap it back to factory.  He then promptly checked his
email for the first time in however long and opened a message from his
daughter in Australia which contained a photo of his granddaughter.
It was the first time he had ever seen her.  He bought the kava every
night after that.

> *Someone* has all those netbooks that Westeners ditched in favour of
> iCraps, I recommend you look into who is now selling them 2nd hand.

I should look to eBay, right?

- Grant