On 2013-05-22 19:52, Michael Mol wrote:
> On 05/22/2013 01:36 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>> On 05/22/13 12:36, Samuraiii wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am trying to get hostname address resolution on my LAN and VPN with
>>> one serious problem:
>>> I have two "networks" eg. 10.1.1.0 and 10.2.2.0 which are representing
>>> local address space for LAN (10.1.1.0/8) and VPN address space (10.2.2.0/8).
>> This isn't two networks, it's one network and you've got the VPN space
>> overlapping the LAN space. To oversimplify a little, Don't Do That.
>>
>> Use a separate subnet for the VPN. Then traffic to the VPN will be
>> routed over the VPN interface as intended, but traffic to the LAN will
>> be routed over the LAN interface. This is what you want, but right now
>> the VPN and the LAN are the same network, so "routing to the LAN" is the
>> same as "routing to the VPN", and your network stack doesn't know what
>> to do with it.
>>

> To be clear, replacing /8 with /24 would do this:
>
> 10.1.1.0/8, as a "network", is really just 10.0.0.0/8. This is also true
> of 10.2.2.0/8. The bits after the first 8 are irrelevant, since a /8 is
> being used. Use /24 instead, in this case.
>
> It would be good for Samuraiii to read up:
>
> http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_IPAddressing.htm

I'm sorry for mistake the subnet mask for both spaces IS 255.255.255.0.
so it is not overlapping at all.
I apologise for my mistake in notation.
still this is not (mainly) problem with routing but problem with
assigning name to address.
If I had superfast internet connection I would not mind and just use vpn
address space.
So basically i need to assign lan address to computer (laptop) which is
in same location (LAN) as other machines. And vpn address on all other
computers.

to illustrate:

hostname: foo
Location:1
address eth0: 10.1.1.3
address tap0: 10.2.2.3

hotname: bar
Location: 1
addresses are irrelevant
hosts entry for foo is 10.1.1.3 *(this is what I want to update if foo
moves to location 2 to 10.2.2.3)*

hosname baz
Location: 2
addresses are irrelevant
Hosts entry for foo is 10.2.2.3 *(this is what I want to update if foo
moves to location 2 to 10.1.1.3)*

Thank you or patience