On 2013-07-02, Daniel Frey <djqf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/02/2013 07:23 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2013-07-01, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>  2) Unplug or power down the firewire drive when booting.
>>

> I had this problem on my Intel motherboard, and found out you can
> disable booting from external drives. "Boot to removable devices" or
> similar in the BIOS. Failing that, changing the boot order so that the
> firewire/USB device is at the very end of the boot list may help your
> situation.

The problem isn't that the BIOS is booting the wrong drive.  The BIOS
is booting the correct drive, grub is starting, grub is loading the
correct kernel.  When the _kernel_ runs it (sometimes) identifies disk
drives in the wrong order and tries to mount the root directory from
the wrong drive.

>> Number 6 (fixing the kernel) is The Right Thing To Do(tm), but it's a
>> bit out of scope for the momement.  The "early code" in the kernel
>> obviously knows how to read partition tables and also knows about the
>> relevent file system, so I'm a bit baffled why it can't look at the
>> file system label.
>>

> Is CONFIG_EDD set?
>
> CONFIG_EDD:
>
> Say Y or M here if you want to enable BIOS Enhanced Disk Drive
> Services real mode BIOS calls to determine which disk BIOS tries boot
> from.  This information is then exported via sysfs.

This has nothing to do with what disk drive the BIOS tries to boot
from (there's no problem with that).

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm wearing PAMPERS!!
                                  at