On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 15:09:28 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> > I had this problem on my Intel motherboard, and found out you can
> > disable booting from external drives. "Boot to removable devices" or
> > similar in the BIOS. Failing that, changing the boot order so that the
> > firewire/USB device is at the very end of the boot list may help your
> > situation.
>
> The problem isn't that the BIOS is booting the wrong drive.  The BIOS
> is booting the correct drive, grub is starting, grub is loading the
> correct kernel.  When the _kernel_ runs it (sometimes) identifies disk
> drives in the wrong order and tries to mount the root directory from
> the wrong drive.

And the BIOS order can affect the order in which the kernel sees the
drives, so it is worth trying.

I'd go for the firewire-as-a-module approach and add the module
to /etc/conf.d/modules to make sure it is loaded ASAP. Yes, it is a
kludge, but it is the simplest solution from a practical POV.

--
Neil Bothwick

Processor: (n.) a device for converting sense to nonsense at the speed
           of electricity, or (rarely) the reverse.