hi, i just booted my "new" system. migration using rsync was smooth. i had
to fight a little with grub2 and gpt, but now it seems everything is
working fine.

the system has been up just a few minutes, so i haven't had time to do
much. but i tried eix-sync and it seemed to me it went much faster. also
libreoffice opened in i think less than 2 seconds, instead of several
seconds like in my old HDD (a WD green, not particularly fast...).

so, all in all i'd venture that yes, the improvement is noticeable.

on 2013-07-19 at 11:43 Dale wrote:

> At one time, I had a /data directory.  I stored large stuff there:
> camera pics, videos, audio stuff and such.  If you put /home on SSD, you
> could always put the larger stuff on another mount point.

yeah, that's the idea. for a moment i considered doing the opposite:
leaving my home in its current HDD, and mount the SSD partition under
/home for some special purposes. but i think the other way around is
a better idea.

best,

lj