On 31/07/2013 07:32, Daniel Campbell wrote:
I was interested in becoming a dev for a little while, but the testing
and what looks to be prolonged process kinda put me off of the idea. It
just seems like a lot of bureaucratic work. Perhaps my impression is
wrong, though...
You are right that the process is not necessarily ideal, but it all we currently have. Some improvements have been happening lately, though. For example, the new recruiting webapp can make handling the quizzes easier, and there have been efforts to increase the numbers of people who can do the final recruitment process.

Which projects are most in need of developers or maintainers? I wouldn't
mind learning a bit more about package maintenance, portage, and ebuilds...
You might have better luck finding an area that interests you first, and going from there.