On 2013-07-30 8:30 PM, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 06:36:57AM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote

Side question...

I want to run the vmware tools on my gentoo VM (so the host can safely
power it down), but it also requires modules.

   Why do you need vmware tools?  From the host, execute...

ssh root@<guest> /sbin/poweroff

Two reasons this isn't sufficient...

1. Extended power outage

If my UPS sends a shutdown command to the host, I (obviously) want it to safely shutdown ALL running VMs.

2. Manual host shutdown

I have my hosts configured so that if I press/release the power button, the host goes through a full power down process. I (obviously) want this process to also initiate safe shutdowns on all running VM's.

I do not want to have to SSH in and manually run a command to uncooperative VM's first, I want to just be able to press/release the power button, and have the host safely shut down all running VMs, then itself.

...or, if you have sys-power/hibernate-script installed, and want to
hibernate...

This is a server. I always completely disable hibernation on servers (doesn't everyone?)...