On 31/07/2013 20:54, Stroller wrote:

> On 31 July 2013, at 19:09, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Stroller
>> <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Hmmmn, it's a bit freaking weird - if I'm understanding correctly some of
>>> the statements made here about systemd - that there will be files installed
>>> to /etc/init.d/ that don't actually do anything.
>>
>> If you use systemd, all the files installed in /etc/init.d (except
>> functions.sh) don't actually do nothing.
>
> Right, which is a bit freakin' odd, because on most every previous distro and
> other *nix system, that's where the system administrator goes to start and
> stop services.
>
> If they're not used, in this case, I don't think they should be installed.
>
> /etc/init.d is wholly different from /usr/share/package-name/examples
>
> There are many other directories on the system where it's no problem to have
> some idle, unused, "wasted" files, but /etc/init.d has long been an important
> directory.

True, but this one is an oddity. The ebuild for the daemon installs
those files, and the ebuild doesn't know when you change your mind about
a service manager. If you omitted the init scripts, you get to remerge
all your daemon packages just to get them. Yuck. And that's just crappy
design.

You *could* have them stored in /usr/share somewhere and "eselect
service-manager" copies them around when changes are made, but that's
just extra brittle layers of complexity for no good reason.

A much better solution is something like a
"service <daemon> start|stop|reload" wrapper
which RH/Fedora/Ubuntu et al have been doing for like ages. It's not
really any different to using rc-update instead of fiddling with classic
SysV init symlinks.

A presumably the sysadmin knows what service manager he is using so
knows whether to use classic init scripts or not.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com