On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 14:34:41 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:

> It seems a little rude to pop in, address them personally, and ask them
> each if they'd devote months of their time towards mentoring me. (Doing
> so can pressure someone into agreeing to something he doesn't want to
> do, or makes him reject you personally which many people find awkward.)

That doesn't sound rude to me at all. If you explain your interest and
ask them if they know anyone that could be your mentor you can also avoid
that pressure for the most part.

And we're not talking months here either. I've just finished mentoring
someone, and it probably took ~15 hours spread over a couple of months.
Compared to some of the other Gentoo work not a huge commitment, and one
that pays itself back by seeing an otherwise derelict part of Gentoo
being maintained again.

Hans