On 08/13/2013 01:08 PM, Alessio Ababilov wrote:

> 2013/8/13 the <the.gu...@mail.ru <mailto:the.gu...@mail.ru>>
>
>     The site doesn't describe any real problems.
>
> Well, it is a question to discuss.
> I am not going to begin a holy war, I would like just to provide a
> possibility to perform a harmless /usr merge for those who share
> FreeDesktop's opinion.
>

>     Also I don't see how the current dir tree is not compatible
>     with gnu autoconf/automake.
>
> In a simple way: please look at coreutils-8.20.ebuild that has to move a
> lot of binaries from /usr/bin to /bin:
>
>                 cd "${D}"/usr/bin
>                 dodir /bin
>                 # move critical binaries into /bin (required by FHS)
>                 local fhs="cat chgrp chmod chown cp date dd df echo
> false ln ls
>                            mkdir mknod mv pwd rm rmdir stty sync true uname"
>                 mv ${fhs} ../../bin/ || die "could not move fhs bins"
>
> 2013/8/13 pk <pete...@coolmail.se <mailto:pete...@coolmail.se>>
>
>     So, how would this work for me who have /usr on a separate harddrive?
>
> If you have an initrd, it will work.
> Anyway, I just look for people that are interested in /usr merge.
>
>     And what would be the benefit? To me, mentioning Fedora, makes the alarm
>     bells go off...
>
> Yes. it does. Fedora is a big distro sponsored by Red Hat and its /usr
> merge will be in RHEL-7. That's not a great idea to fight against
> upstream if it will do /usr merge. Remember, /bin/mail now is moved to
> /usr/bin/mail - what will be the next?
>
> Sincerely,
> Alessio Ababilov
> Senior Software Engineer
> Grid Dynamics
Red Hat is only upstream for GNOME and systemd. What they choose to do
with their distro should not affect the choices of any other distro. I
see no reason for a /usr merge unless one is using Fedora or wants to
turn their Gentoo installation into a makeshift Fedora installation.
This merge should not be forced on Gentoo whatsoever.