On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 01:42:32PM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
> > I'd put money on it being considered part of system
> > because it provides virtual/editor, which is part of system.
>
> In  /usr/portage/profiles/base/virtuals , it says
>
>   virtual/editor                          app-editors/nano
>
> there's no mention of Joe.

In the ebuild it specifies

PROVIDE="virtual/editor"

the virtual/editor thing in the profiles just specifies that the
default install will use app-editors/nano to satisfy the
virtual/editor requirement in system. If you have ANYTHING at all that
provides virtual/editor, it will satisfy the system. But at the same
time, if you want to unmerge anything that provides virtual/editor,
the warning will come up.

For example, currently, on my desktop,

[02:21 PM]wwong ~ $ emerge search nano
Searching...
[ Results for search key : nano ]
[ Applications found : 4 ]

*  app-editors/nano
      Latest version available: 1.3.7
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 985 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.nano-editor.org/
      License:     GPL-2

[02:22 PM]wwong ~ $ cat /usr/portage/profiles/base/virtuals | grep editor
virtual/editor                          app-editors/nano
virtual/emacs                           app-editors/emacs
virtual/xemacs                          app-editors/xemacs

[02:19 PM]wwong proto-gen $ emerge --pretend virtual/editor

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] app-editors/gvim-6.3.084

So... although nano is the "default editor" it is not installed on my
system.  And I have at least gvim to satisfy the virtual/editor
requirements in system (though I usually use vim, which also satisfies
the requirement). In fact, if you

grep "virtual/editor" /usr/portage/app-editors/*/*ebuild

you'd see that easyedit, elvis, emacs, gvim, jed, joe, nano, ne, nvi,
teco, vile, vim, xemacs all provide that function.

So in short, just go ahead and unmerge Joe if you aren't going to use
it.

"There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily
escaped the chronicler's mind."

- This line perhaps best sums up the whole book.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 23 days, 21:21