On Tue, August 20, 2013 00:20, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 17:11:46 +0100, thegeezer wrote:
>
>> i almost would like to request tighter integration between
>> portage/kernel building/initrd
>
> The kernel build system can also build the initramfs if you give it the
> location of the config file. That way the initramfs is built for each
> kernel, using the currently installed versions of the various tools.

Yes, it's a little bit easier then manually adding a new initramfs.
But as I update userspace more frequently then the kernel, that would
still lead to a version discrepency.
I need to always remember to rebuild the initramfs when a part of
userspace that sits in the initramfs is updated. An automatic option there
would be usefull.
If it were included into the kernel, I would need to rebuild the kernel
after every update. Just redoing the initramfs is less of a waste of CPU.

--
Joost