Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 10:08:02 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
>
>> The main thing about this whole initramfs thing is, like Dale, I just
>> don't understand it. I understand grub and grub.conf. I understand
>> enough about compiling a kernel to be able to get it done and be
>> reasonably sure it is done right.
>>
>> But if my system ever failed to boot because of a problem with the
>> initramfs, I basically would be hosed.
>
> I was the same. I learned about GRUB and then I understood it. Then I
> switched to Gentoo and learned about kernel compilation and then I
> understood it. A while ago, i had a need for an initramfs, so I learned
> about it and now I understand it. Somewhere in this sequence I also
> switched to GRUB2, which i previously had no knowledge of.
>
> Do you see the pattern, your lack of understanding is not a failing of
> the software? This is not a technological point, or even a political one,
> it is about being outside of your comfort zone. Using Gentoo is an
> exercise in expanding your comfort zone.

It's not about comfort zone for me.  It's that I do NOT want to use a
init thingy. Period.  Real simple.  I had fits with that thing in the
past and I do not want to revisit the issue again, certainly not on
Gentoo.  I'm not going to revisit hal either.  I forgot the name but not
the lesson I learned from it.

I might also add, I switched to grub2 a while back. The old grub worked
fine but I wanted to go ahead and switch to the new grub since it seems
to be ready and stable.  Was that outside my comfort zone?  I switched
anyway because I was ready to do it.  No real need but I had the
experience of the old grub to rely on.  At least the old grub never
failed me.  Init thingys has, many times.

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!