* the <the.gu...@mail.ru> [21.08.2013. @09:35:09 +0400]:

> On 08/20/13 19:12, Randy Westlund wrote:
> > For a multitude of reasons, I'd like to get rid of skype.  I've
> > heard several people mention jitsi, but was surprised to find that
> > it's not in the portage tree.
> >
> > Is jitsi being actively maintained in an overlay somewhere?  Are
> > there plans to put jitsi in the main tree?
> >
> > Are there other other good alternatives to skype that are supported
> > on gentoo?  What do you guys use?
>
> Bear in mind that there's no free replacement for skype.

Well, it depends on what you call a replacement: Jitsi and Ekiga can do
the work as well as Skype, but not with the Skype protocol and
"network". But if your contacts do not care about it, it's ok.
I tried Jitsi last year after the FOSDEM, but it was too much buggy. I
tried again this year (after the FOSDEM again), and I think it si now
usable.
You can also try Ekiga which is also usable on other OS.

With both of these pieces of software, the main problem when moving from
Skype is to change your buddies' habits :\

Regards,

JC