James wrote:
Hello,

I'm still hacking at my first Linux firewall. I decided to build
in redundancy, via CARP which replaces the cisco protocol VRRP.
I like to develop 2 versions:

This email primary covers the routing issues you're going to see.

For the record the Cisco equivalent of VRRP is HSRP. Here's a little bit of history if you're interested.
http://tcpmag.com/qanda/article.asp?EditorialsID=306

This link might be interesting if you decide to look into VRRP which you can run on Linux.
http://siag.nu/pen/vrrpd-linux.shtml

A. 2 redundant routers on one cable modem(static IP) drop.
B. 2 redundant router each with a different network/circuit
to the internet.

'UCARP' is in portage, and I was wondering:

1. Has anyone used 'ucarp' with iptables, willing to share configs?

2. How do you get your ethernet cards to reply to arp/mac requests
with the same MAC address? A pci based ethernet card with programmable
MAC address would be keen. If one does not exist, I'm quite tempted to do the layout, and develop the firmware (not a big deal).
Suggestions as to which chips to use, so as to be able to use
an existing driver from a 10/100 card (realtek?) would be keen.

Any reasonable implementation should not be this complicated. In HSRP, I can't speak for ucarp, your real network interfaces have their hardware designated MAC addresses. When the virtual interface is created a new MAC address is generated and assigned to that IP only. This way the virtual IP and MAC can move easily between machines regardless of the MAC address of the real interfaces. I'd imagine that any VRRP-ish type system would do something similar.

Getting into some black magic, IIRC and the details are pretty hazy, a state change in VRRP/HSRP would cause a gratuitous arp so that the switch could see that the MAC address had moved to another port. Some switches or firmware versions wouldn't respond correctly so traffic continued to the old port until arp times out or was manually cleared. Just something to watch out for if you're using low end gear... and even some high end gear has at times flubbed this.

5. Since my cable access provider scans MAC address and locks up
my cable box(therefore I have to shut if off for 5 minutes upon
changing the MAC address of my router) if different MACs are used,
do you have a workaround for this?

If you can get the cable modem to play nicely with the virtual IP and virtual MAC it should work. That might be fairly difficult if you're using DHCP.

6. If I implement UCARP on a  network with 2 different wiring/circuits
that support static TCP/IPs (cable modem and wireless T-mobile) how
do I setup external routing to use both pipes, without BGP-4?

Is this a "for fun" project or a "if it breaks it'll cost me real money" project? If it's for fun go nuts, but if this is a convoluted plan to get some sort of real redundancy you're probably going to be disappointed.

Here's the rub, load balancing outbound traffic is easy. Turn on advanced routing in your kernel, recompile, reboot, add your two default gateways and you're now using both connections. IIRC Linux does per connection load sharing, not per packet so a single TCP stream can not use the aggregate connection speed of both pipes.

However load balancing incoming traffic is hard even with BGP. I'd be very surprised if either of your ISP's let you run BGP with them other than announcing a default 0.0.0.0/0 route to you via a private AS number. Assuming you even get that far I'm positive that their filters are going to swallow any route announcement specific enough to modify your traffic. Without BGP you have no redundancy for incoming traffic. Here's an example.

These are your static IP's
cable 20.20.12.24
tmob 40.40.24.48

If I'm connected to the tmob IP and that connection goes down nothing you can do will send me to the other IP. I'd have to reconnect and hope round robin DNS might send me to the other IP this time. You could play DNS games, but the failover time for all clients is going to be pretty long.

Going back to your original question, you can run two routers on a single connection and that should work reasonably well though be limited in the redundancy it can give you. Running two connections however is more problematic and may not be worth the trouble if you're trying to provide transparent failover for incoming connections.

I can break this down into better examples if anything doesn't make sense. I don't know how much you know about routing and this could have easily grown into four or five pages giving all the background info.

kashani