On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 07:17:37 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> grub and Gentoo are on /dev/hda
> Windows will go on /dev/hdc or /dev/hde
>
> I do not want windows to write anything on /dev/hda

It will, because MS assumes you'll be using the windows bootloader.

> I know the no one here can truly guarantee what Windows will do but
> there's little point in me doing this work if it's known to overwrite
> my main drive..

It won't overwrite the drive, just the part of the MBR containing the
bootloader code. You'll just need to run grub from a live CD and do

root (hd0,X)
setup (hd0)

to restore it.

--
Neil Bothwick

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.