On 27/09/2013 10:24, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
> would anybody please be so kind to explain to me the rational used by
> portage to re-emerge
> some packages.
>
> I've installed portage 2.2.7 and when I try to emerge, say,
> app-shells/zsh-completions
> it re-emerges (emerge -vp shows  'rR') several packages including, i.e.,
> app-office/libreoffice
>
> I can't imaging libreoffice depends in any way on zsh-completions.
>
> So, what's going on?
>
> (and rebuilding libreoffice isn't just fun)
>
> Many thanks,
> Helmut.

You didn't supply any output or any details about your system, so your
question can't be properly answered. I can make a guess, so from the man
page:

              r   reinstall (forced for some reason, possibly due to
slot or sub-slot)
              R   replacing (remerging same version)

I'd guess libreoffice needs to be rebuilt and is triggered by a sub-slot
(in the old days you would have had to run revdep-rebuild or emerge
@preserved-rebuild to find this)

I imagine this is in no way related to zsh-completions, that just
happens to be on the command line. It's related to running emerge.

If you require a better answer, please provide proper emerge output.
Rage questions don't usually lead to correct explanations

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com