On 2013-09-28 6:46 PM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
Except you can never break Gentoo with a kernel update because, unlike
some other distros, installing a new kernel does not uninstall the
previous one. No matter how badly wrng a kernel update goes, you can
always hit reset then select the old one from the GRUB menu -
reinstallation doesn't come into it.

My understanding is that this is not true, and that a USERLAND update (LVM2, which I use, among them) can cause breakage that will cause the CURRENT kernel+initramfs to no longer boot.

Is my understanding flawed?

Totally side question: Anyone ever hear Linus' opinion of an initramfs being required to boot a system?