Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 18:09:40 -0500, Dale wrote:
>
>>> Read the kernel docs on initramfs, you'll then understand that this is
>>> not true.
>> Point is, they are the same to me.  Both stand between grub and the
>> kernel and add yet one more point of failure.  I'm not going to nitpck
>> on the difference between them since I view both in the same way.
> They are not the same. Your stating that they are the same to you is
> effectively saying "I know what I believe, don't bother me with the real
> facts".

They are the same to me as yet one more point of failure that I DO NOT
want.  I have dealt with those in the past and I don't want either of
them and I don't care of it is called "cute teddy bears" or whatever.
My point still stands, it is one more thing between grub and the kernel
and I don't want it.

>>> Except you can never break Gentoo with a kernel update because, unlike
>>> some other distros, installing a new kernel does not uninstall the
>>> previous one. No matter how badly wrng a kernel update goes, you can
>>> always hit reset then select the old one from the GRUB menu -
>>> reinstallation doesn't come into it.
>> Provided that the old one works tho right?  What if I update and it
>> breaks more than one thing?   Then what?
> That's got nothing to do with the kernel, initramfs or separate /usr.
> Once init is running, all that is history, it's done its job. If
> something subsequently fails, it has nothing to do with mounting /
> and /usr (which is all the initramfs does).

If I select what to boot in grub and it fails, there I sit.  If I try
another and it fails, there I sit.  I have enough issues at times
already.  I don't want one more that already has a bad, VERY bad,
history with me.  I have enough fun with the kernel at times.

>>> This isn't even as close as comparing apples and oranges.
>> To ME, a init thingy is a init thingy.  That's why I call them all init
>> thingys.  To ME, both are apples.  One may be green and another red but
>> both are still apples.
> Please, don't ever offer to feed me :-)

You would be surprised, I am one heck of a cook.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!