Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 13 Oct 2013 13:26:31 Dale wrote:
>>
>> Memory question.  The mobo I have uses this:  "Support for DDR3
>> 1666(OC)/1333/1066 MHz memory modules"  I have the 1666 on here.  It was
>> what was on sale.  :-D  The new mobo calls for this:  "DDR3
>> 2000(OC)/1866/1600/1333/1066"  Are the two compatible?  Both are DDR3.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>
> They are, although the new MoBo memory can be overclocked higher.
Bear in
> mind that some MoBos will complain if they are not fitted with identical
> memory modules.  Somehow I happen to come across them each time ...  :-(

So I can buy the mobo and reuse the memory I have now?  That will help a
LOT right now.  The new mobo will support twice the amount of ram but I
can upgrade that and the CPU later on.  The mobo I am looking at is this
one:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4717#ov

The mobo I currently have is here:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3320#sp

I don't overclock so I'm not worried about that.  I did it once with a
old Abit mobo with a AMD 2500+ CPU but it just didn't make much difference.

The memory I have is here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231313

It appears I looked at something wrong here.  The one I have is the same
as what the mobo calls for.  I think???  I need to sleep more and I got
to much stuff going on.  :/  I wonder where I got the 1666 from??

It appears that I should be good to go with the new mobo.  Use my old
ram, upgrade with 8GB sticks as I can and they go on sale.  In the end,
I can have up to 32GBs of ram.  Talk about putting some stuff on tmpfs.
O_O  I have always wanted to copy the tree to tmpfs and run "time emerge
-uvaDN world".  Just to see how fast it will go.  lol

If anyone sees anything here that won't work, let me know soon.  I plan
to order this thing pretty soon.  Given the USB issue, the ethernet
having issues, I'm worried something else may start to break as well.  :-(

Thanks to all.  Posting the question got me to see I made a boo boo
somewhere about the memory speed.  I think?

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!