Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I now officially need new spectacles. I read -march=amdfam10 and my
> eyeballs told my brain it was "arm"
> <sigh>

As an old fart, to a fledgling old-fart; its because ARM is taking over
the world, that your brain performed this superposition transformation. Your
glasses are most likely fine. You subconcience is smarter than your
waking (carnal?) consience. Trust the force, luke......

> Please ignore this entire sub-thread

The fact of the matter is this. If I knew back then, what I know
now, I would not even fart around with x86* architectures on keen
issues of minimization. There is so much going on with ARM.
Minimization is about low power. The paradigm shift to low
power (the lowest heat) allows for for the greatest transistor
concentration ==> smallest size.  ARM has beaten them all, AMD
sees the light and is working on a myriad of hybrid SOCs, design
specifically for tight target implementations. Samsung is killing
the world, with ARM and open source linux.

Still, to get a taste for minimization, there is nothing like
old (Gentoo) i586 and i486 sources and the 2.series of kernels
to see just how small you can get (sub 1 Mbyte.....?).
I've heard of kernels around 100Kb, in the old days.

These kernels FLY! but may not do all you eventually need....
TLS and such make it an infinite soup of trial and testing.

hth,

James