131211 Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2013-12-11, Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>> My ancient printer's ink cartridge has finally dried up
>> & the mobo in my regular computer accepts only USB.
>> I don't do much printing, but occasionally need a few pages.
> Unless you want to print little other than photos on glossy paper,
> go with a laser printer.  I bought an HP LaserJet 1200  c 13 years ago.
> It still works as good as it did the first day I used it
> and I just had to buy my first toner cartridge last year (approx $100).
> In the meantime, my parents have gone through at least 4 inkjet printers
> and probably $1000 worth of ink cartridges (and the last time I was there
> it looked like their latest inkjet was in its death throes).
> I've also had excellent experience with Brother laser printers.
> Until a handful of years ago, I would have refused to buy
> a non-postscript printer, but in the past 5-10 years, CUPs and foomatic
> have gotten pretty good at dealing with other common printer languages.
> I still wouldn't take an inkjet printer if you gave it to me for free.

Thanks for this & the other replies.

The local store has on sale a Brother HL-2240D Monochrome Laser Printer,
  24 PPM Mono, 2400 x 600 DPI, Duplex Printing, USB Connectivity.

Any further comments from anyone ?  Can I assume it will work with Linux ?

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca