On 12/21/2013 05:36 AM, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
> I've set up gentoo on my desktop PC. I have a question about what
> temperature readings for the Nvidia GPU in question are considered to be
> safe. At the moment, the temperature readings for my GPU, as reported by
> the XFCE sensors plugin are 73 degrees C.
>
> Here's some info about my current set-up that might be helpful.
>
> lspci -v|grep -i vga
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G86 [GeForce 8400
> GS] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Those cards should be OK up to the mid-high 90s C in temperature. It
also depends if the card is passively cooled or not. I had a passively
cooled one of those cards and it ran in the high 80s to high 90s all the
time. I remember reading way back when the card actually does some
throttling between 110-120C. Another thing to note is that your model
cards typically didn't have a very broad cooling solution, it only has
fan on and fan off states.

I wound up strapping a 80mm fan to my passively cooled card to cool it a
little more. Yours is running quite a bit cooler than mine though.

Dan